StatCounter

Tuesday, May 6, 2008

What lies beneath...!!!

So last Saturday… that’s 3rd of May… I was just at home doing nothing but watching my favorite pass time..TV it is… hehe…. Outside temperature was at 40’C and had no plans to get out of home.. but at around 1.PM the power went off and I could not sit at home… So planned to come to office as the AC is on here. On the way I came to know the reason for the power shut down. Saw a construction site truck entangled to a power line cabe near my office. Unfortunately I could not capture the truck in my frames. Later after reaching the office I realized that strangest things that I failed to notice. Then I was lucky that except for the truck all situation is still the same. 2 concrete electric poles still hanging on the lines above. Its the lines holding the poles now rather than the other way round. Some of them are captured below.

The 2 poles pulled down by the truck


The broken electric pole

Now the close up of the broken poles reveals the thing I missed out to notice in my first seeing. Now below is the real close up of the broken portion of one of the poles. If you notice, there are no standard gauge steel rods inside the poles. This flashed to me because I had not seen any electric poles earlier which had broken in this manner. They are made to resist impacts even more powerful than getting pulled by this truck which may be moving at around 10-15kmph on this road. So basically as far as I understand the poles were not built to specs from the standards organization. Anyway so donno how many are still on the roads like this holding high power lines and waiting for a great fall still.


Close up of the broken part (No steel reinforcement)


The second pole


The crashed pole

Now who is to be blamed none know as they have not cleared it yet. Hope some one will clean up this mess as the poles and the lines are hanging dangerously over head to so many users of the road.

Location: Behind Raheja Mindspace, Hyderabad.

No comments: